Next topic »   
Ultimate Hot Hatch?

1 2 
LAN_402 LAN_403
dEaThXc0rE
Fri Jul 29 2011, 08:06am
dEaThXc0rE Registered Member #633 Joined: Thu Jul 28 2011, 03:10pm
Hey guys,

Ok so in your opinion, what's the best hot hatch? Why?
Siversmith[PCD]
Fri Jul 29 2011, 08:10am
Siversmith[PCD] Admin Registered Member #7 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 04:29pm
Hi Deathxcore! Welcome to PCD. Smile

Currently I feel the best hot hatch is the Opel Corsa OPC, although it has numerous problems. I think the new Ford Focus if it comes out in SA could be the new hot hatch though.
Morgue[FLB]
Fri Jul 29 2011, 08:56am
Morgue[FLB] Admin Registered Member #59 Joined: Wed Mar 08 2006, 11:21am
Gah, I'm a huge VW fan, so of course I'm going to side with the Golf.

BTW, does the Sirocco count as a ''hot hatch''? Because I dig it too.... Tongue

Drool

Siversmith[PCD]
Fri Jul 29 2011, 09:01am
That is definitely a hot hatch. I just don't count it. The price range is just too unrealistic if you know what I mean. Sad
dEaThXc0rE
Fri Jul 29 2011, 10:17am
Agreed. For what it can do it is rather expensive. But that one is the Scirocco R, Audi 2.0T motor which is pretty powerful.

Siver I'm going to have to disagree with you on the new Focus. The problem for me is the new engine. Although the new 2.0T produces more power than the old 2.5 5 Pot Turbo, it has less torque which I assume you can change by mapping out different software but I find it lame that they are taking away the 2.5. I know Volvo is retiring the motor because the earth will die because of it but that engine was bloody brilliant. We took a spin in an ST yesterday that had R30k worth of performance mods and to be honest it's been quite a while since I've experienced anything like that. My point is, that motor is very tunable, look at what they did with it in the Volvo C30 PCP. It's really a pity that it got discontinued.

Obv my choice is the Focus RS but I think the new Citroen DS3 Racing is wonderful. Saw the Top Gear Episode of it and apart from being better than the new Mini IMO, it looks spectacular. A friend of mine has the standard DS3 and I have to say that it's a wonderful place to be when you are sitting inside it. Everything looks absolutely stunning on the inside. Also I think that chassis (which is from a Mini afaik?) is wonderful. You can absolutely fly into a corner with that and come out the other side with all your internal organs still intact Smile The Megane RS is also quite a stunner, I haven't seen any reviews but I saw it round Kyalami and with 1/3 head start, it finished 0.2 behind the Red Bull F1 car. I know the 1/3 head start ruins it slightly but for an F1 car to only be able to catch up to a 2.0T on the last corner, i'd say that thing has to move around the corners Laugh

Audi RS3 is too ugly to be good.
Siversmith[PCD]
Fri Jul 29 2011, 10:24am
Well the current car market, regardless of make or model, seems to all align to some sort of general rule of thumb. Pitty as people wont ever be able to define a really sublime car. If you look at any of the concept cars that get's designed, they never get built. Sad

Some of those shapes are just amazing and to top it off, the numbers they are talking about makes my mouth water but when it comes to the road car it never gets built.
dEaThXc0rE
Fri Jul 29 2011, 10:49am
Agreed. The medium level hot hatches (GTi, ST, Renault RS etc) are almost all the same. It's personal preference really.

When you go a step higher (Focus RS, Golf/Scirocco R etc) is when things get interesting. I think the Focus is dominating that criteria to be honest. In a drag race against a DSG Golf/Scirocco R I think it's going to be pretty equal but around the corners the Focus will run away giggling Tongue

What's Japan doing though? AurisX? RunX RSI? Why are they being so damn lame?
Siversmith[PCD]
Fri Jul 29 2011, 11:02am
The Japanese haven't done anything spectacular for hatchbacks in recent years. Or most Asians for that matter. I think the fact that they love their drifting is the problem as you generally don't use a front wheel car for drifting that is normally light.
dEaThXc0rE
Fri Jul 29 2011, 11:29am
But what fast cars have they produced over all in the last 10 years?
I can think of the GTR, perhaps a late Supra but that's about it.. the NSX and the Supra and everything died out. They are too focused on Hybrid I fear.
Siversmith[PCD]
Fri Jul 29 2011, 11:35am
I think they are more focused on cheap reliable cars these days instead of radical cars. The cheap reliable cars is what is bringing in consistent money where as the radical cars are not.
1 2 
Moderator(s): Christo [PCD], Morgue[FLB], RaZeaL [PCD], Siversmith[PCD], Dade_182, MaTiCa, MayheM

Go to:

LAN_431 LAN_432 LAN_433