« Previous topic | Next topic »   
NVIDIA We let AMD power the PS4

LAN_402 LAN_403
Christo [PCD]
Mon Mar 18 2013, 07:22pm
Christo [PCD] Main Admin Registered Member #1 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:48am
News item posted

NVIDIA says trying to design a GPU for the console wasn't worth the cost

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) has quietly dominated the market for commodity graphics chips and CPUs for console gaming systems, and the latest generation of consoles look to be no exception. Sony Corp.'s (TYO:6758) PS4, to launch this holiday season, will feature an AMD GPU and CPU. And there's an AMD 550 MHz Radeon "Latte" GPU aboard Nintendo Comp., Ltd.'s (TYO:7974) popular Wii U.

So how does NVIDIA Corp. (NVDA), AMD's chief rival in the PC graphics market feel about AMD's dominance of the increasingly PC-like consoles? Not too bad, apparently.

NVIDIA's Senior Vice President of content and tecnology told Gamespot in a recent interview that his company is essentially letting AMD win. While he's convinced his firm could be AMD if it tried, he says it just isn't worth it, remarking:

I'm sure there was a negotiation that went on and we came to the conclusion that we didn't want to do the business at the price those guys were willing to pay. Having been through the original Xbox and PS3, we understand the economics of the development and the trade-offs.

If we say, did a console, what other piece of our business would we put on hold to chase after that? In the end, you only have so many engineers and so much capability, and if you're going to go off and do chips for Sony or Microsoft, then that's probably a chip that you're not doing for some other portion of your business.

That statement seems a bit odd -- after all, hegemony of consoles could be a ticket for a financially struggling AMD to effectively sell tens, if not hundreds of millions of chips.

But NVIDIA's focus is more directed on the mobile market, where it's looking to leverage pared down versions of its GeForce GPUs beside ARM CPU cores. NVIDIA has its work cut out for it in that market; it largely lost the last round to Qualcomm, Inc. (QCOM) due to its chips being too power-hungry.

NVIDIA is looking to change later this year with the refresh of Tegra 4 that will include an on-die LTE modem. Between Tegra and the development of traditional PC GPUs, NVIDIA sounds content to let AMD freely dominate the console market -- or so it says.

Source: GameSpot

[Submitted by Christo [PCD]]

1 1363627296 NVIDIA

Morgue[FLB]
Tue Apr 09 2013, 10:22pm
Morgue[FLB] Admin Registered Member #59 Joined: Wed Mar 08 2006, 11:21am
AMD needs a bit of a boost.

Before it falls off the edge of the earth entirely.
Hawk
Sun Apr 14 2013, 09:05am
Hawk Registered Member #217 Joined: Mon Sep 18 2006, 04:12pm
AMD aren't doing THAT badly.

Besides if they supply the chips for the PS4 that's a nice revenue stream for the next 5 years at least.
SpEks
Mon Apr 15 2013, 11:04am
SpEks Registered Member #24 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 05:13pm
Good work AMD! Show NVIDIA whose boss.
Hawk
Wed May 01 2013, 01:47pm
Hawk Registered Member #217 Joined: Mon Sep 18 2006, 04:12pm
I just wish AMD would release some decent linux drivers for their stuff.
Synthetic_Darkness
Fri Aug 02 2013, 07:08am
Synthetic_Darkness Registered Member #153 Joined: Sat Jun 03 2006, 10:14pm
I'm glad to see AMD is coming back. I bought a 7950 and just love the thing to death.

I'm very keen to see the Nvidia Shield, really cool concept.
Moderator(s): Christo [PCD], Morgue[FLB], RaZeaL [PCD], Siversmith[PCD], Dade_182, MaTiCa, MayheM

Go to:

LAN_431 LAN_432 LAN_433