Forums
« Previous topic | Next topic »   
Mozilla Abandons 64-Bit Firefox Development for Windows for Now

LAN_402 LAN_403
Christo [PCD]
Wed Nov 28 2012, 10:20am
Christo [PCD] Main Admin Registered Member #1 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:48am
News item posted

Decision leaves Opera and Microsoft with the only 64-bit browsers, though Google will soon join the pack

Fans of the non-profit Mozilla Foundation have waited... and waited... and waited more still, for Mozilla's popular Firefox browser to add 64-bit support. With pickup of 64-bit SKUs of Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT) Windows operating system rapidly accelerating, it certainly seemed a 64-bit browser would be just around the corner.

Instead Mozilla has made the curious decision to pull the plug on the long-delayed project, while offering only small clues as to why the decision was made.

The announcement was posted by Mozilla Engineering Manager Benjamin Smedberg on the Bugzilla development page. He ordered Mozilla employees and community developers:

Please stop building windows 64 builds and tests.

As for why the he opted to pull the plug on 64-bit for now, he comments, "Many plugins are not available in 64-bit versions. The plugins that are available don’t work correctly in Firefox because we haven’t implemented things like windowproc hooking, which means that hangs are more common."

Mozilla may soon find itself in lonely territory.

With Oracle Corp.'s (ORCL) Java and Adobe Systems Inc.'s (ADBE) Flash now supporting 64-bit Windows plug-ins, both Microsoft's Internet Explorer 10 and Opera Software ASA (OSE:OPERA) have made the leap to 64-bit. Meanwhile Google Inc.'s (GOOG) Chrome, one of the most popular browsers due to its clean UI and strong GPU acceleration, has added 64-bit support in Linux and is in the process of porting its changes to Windows.

In other words, soon Mozilla may be the only browser maker without a 64-bit browser.

Of course, Windows compatibility libraries ensure 32-bit applications (like Firefox) can still run on 64-bit Windows. But there is a small performance penalty associated.

For that reason one has to wonder whether Mozilla might come to regret its decision to halt development, even if it is only a temporary one.

Source: Bugzilla

Firefox 64-bit development is dead for now. [Image Source: Flickr/dimnikolov]

[Submitted by Christo [PCD]]

1 1354088068 Mozill

Synthetic_Darkness
Thu Nov 29 2012, 07:12am
Synthetic_Darkness Registered Member #153 Joined: Sat Jun 03 2006, 10:14pm
I love Firefox. But lately it's just hanging more and more. To sort this out, I've disabled some plugins. But thats kinda defeating the point of having Firefox.

Not really sure if this is all that bad news. I mean yeah a 64 bit version would be nice. But meh.
Siversmith[PCD]
Fri Nov 30 2012, 08:14am
Siversmith[PCD] Admin Registered Member #7 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 04:29pm
I haven't had too many issues with my Firefox. Mainly because I don't have that many addon's.
Synthetic_Darkness
Mon Dec 03 2012, 03:15pm
Well neither do I. But I suspect that I had 1 enabled that caused all the issues. Have disabled that plugin and now Firefox seems to be awesome again.
Morgue[FLB]
Mon Dec 03 2012, 09:53pm
Morgue[FLB] Admin Registered Member #59 Joined: Wed Mar 08 2006, 11:21am
I held the Firefox flag high for ages, but over time, I've moved on to Chrome.

It's just... faster. And has plenty of extensions (plugins) too.

Hey, as long as it's not IE Tongue

Siversmith[PCD]
Tue Dec 04 2012, 08:23am
Siversmith[PCD] Admin Registered Member #7 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 04:29pm
Too true. Anything but IE!
Synthetic_Darkness
Tue Dec 04 2012, 09:57am
I dunno the new IE is bringing some goodness back. But then again if all previous versions were terrible and then you release a version thats marginally better. It'll be amazing.

But I still wont use IE for anything, well except to download Firefox.
Moderator(s): Christo [PCD], Morgue[FLB], RaZeaL [PCD], Siversmith[PCD], Dade_182, MaTiCa, MayheM

Go to:

LAN_431 LAN_432 LAN_433