« Previous topic | Next topic »   
StarCraft(R) II: Wings of Liberty(TM) in Stores Starting July 27, 2010

1 2 
LAN_402 LAN_403
Christo [PCD]
Mon May 24 2010, 08:20pm
Christo [PCD] Main Admin Registered Member #1 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:48am
News item posted

IRVINE, Calif., May 03, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. announced today that its highly anticipated real-time strategy game, StarCraft(R) II: Wings of Liberty(TM), will arrive in stores throughout the United States, Canada, Europe, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Mexico, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, the Philippines, and the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau starting on July 27, 2010. Players will also be able to purchase StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty directly from Blizzard Entertainment shortly after the retail launch.

"We've been looking forward to revisiting the StarCraft universe for many years, and we're excited that the time for that is almost here," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "Thanks to our beta testers, we're making great progress on the final stages of development, and we'll be ready to welcome players all over the world to StarCraft II and the new Battle.net(R) in just a few months."

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty is the sequel to Blizzard Entertainment's 1998 hit StarCraft, which has been hailed by players and critics worldwide as one of the top real-time strategy games of all time. Sporting a vibrant 3D-graphics engine, StarCraft II will once again center on the clash between the protoss, terrans, and zerg, with each side deploying legions of veteran, upgraded, and new unit types. Unparalleled online play for StarCraft II will be available through a new version of Battle.net, Blizzard Entertainment's world-renowned gaming service. Battle.net has been redesigned from the ground up to be the premier online gaming destination for Blizzard gamers, with several enhancements and new features, such as voice communication, cloud file storage, leagues and ladders, achievements, stat-tracking, and more.

The solo campaign for StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty will continue the epic saga where it left off in StarCraft: Brood War(R). The story line chronicles the exploits of marshal-turned-rebel-leader Jim Raynor and features both familiar faces and new heroes. Players will be able to tailor the experience, choosing their own mission path and selecting technology and research upgrades to suit their playing style throughout the 29-mission campaign. Several challenge-mode mini-games will also be included, with focused goals designed to ease players into the basics of multiplayer strategies.

For more information on StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, visit the official website at www.starcraft2.com.Further details about the game, including the alternative pricing options previously mentioned for certain regions, will be announced in the coming weeks. With multiple games in development, Blizzard Entertainment has numerous positions currently available -- visit www.blizzard.com/jobs for more information and to learn how to apply.
[Submitted by Synthetic_Darkness]

153 1272963975 StarCr

Morgue[FLB]
Wed May 26 2010, 11:30am
Morgue[FLB] Admin Registered Member #59 Joined: Wed Mar 08 2006, 11:21am
"Hell, it's about time".

But. Having played the Beta, I'm less than impressed. I've gone from being determined to buy the Collector's Edition (as I did with Diablo II and WarCraft III) to not being sure I'll buy the game at all.

In my testing with the Beta, the gameplay is FAR too similar to the first game - just with prettier graphics. Too few units have changed... and those that have, have changed for the worse (the Zerg units with special abilities are RUBBISH in comparison to the Queen and Defiler from before).

The Terrans are going to be highly annoying with their auto-healing dropships. Nevermind their command centers with offensive capabilities.

And the Protoss are ridiculously overpowered - as usual.

I may be in the minority here - I know that SO many StarCraft fanboys have waited for this for SO long that they'll be willing to overlook any shortcomings, just to play the game.

But I'm very disappointed so far.

And the way that Blizzard are going to squeeze their loyal customers by releasing the game in three parts, charging us for them each separately??

Oh, and no LAN support.

What the heck are they thinking? They've let the success of the internet-only World of WarCraft go to their heads.

Synthetic_Darkness
Wed May 26 2010, 02:57pm
Synthetic_Darkness Registered Member #153 Joined: Sat Jun 03 2006, 10:14pm
I'm also dissapointed by the beta, but a new patch is out for beta that adds stuff (models, anilities, etc) that looks really cool. Plus I reckon Blizzard wouldnt have put EVERYTHING in the beta....
Morgue[FLB]
Wed May 26 2010, 04:19pm
Well, if Blizzard aren't concealing at least 10 new units per race and TWO entirely new races, I'm gonna be disappointed.

Which pretty much means I'm going to be disappointed no matter what

Synthetic, what are "anilities"? Special Zerg ability vs abducted Terrans?

Synthetic_Darkness
Thu May 27 2010, 04:28pm
Morgue[FLB wrote ...
]

Synthetic, what are "anilities"? Special Zerg ability vs abducted Terrans?

Lol I read your comment twice and I was like "Are you asking me something from the game????" My bad, I meant models.

Well honestly there arent many very awesome RTS's out there. So I think Starcraft will be awesome.
Hawk
Thu May 27 2010, 07:19pm
Hawk Registered Member #217 Joined: Mon Sep 18 2006, 04:12pm
Synthetic_Darkness wrote ...

Well honestly there arent many very awesome RTS's out there. So I think Starcraft will be awesome.

Supreme Commander 2! - I wants it!
Morgue[FLB]
Fri May 28 2010, 08:11am
Synthetic_Darkness wrote ...

My bad, I meant models.
Actually, I think you meant "abilities". You already said 'models' in your original post.

Morgue[FLB]
Fri May 28 2010, 08:15am
Hawk wrote ...

Supreme Commander 2! - I wants it!
Supreme Commander is the worst RTS ever. Seriously.

Just build a million units and send them in the general direction of your enemy. Lather, rinse, repeat. Snore.

There's no real individual unit control, and therefore, no real strategy.
MaTiCa
Fri May 28 2010, 11:05am
MaTiCa Admin Registered Member #186 Joined: Sun Jul 23 2006, 12:16pm
But it's fun =P
Synthetic_Darkness
Fri May 28 2010, 01:21pm
Yes Abilities (egg is on face).

Yeah see what I'm saying? Starcraft 2 FTW!!!!!11!!!!1one!!!1
1 2 
Moderator(s): Christo [PCD], Morgue[FLB], RaZeaL [PCD], Siversmith[PCD], Dade_182, MaTiCa, MayheM

Go to:

LAN_431 LAN_432 LAN_433