« Previous topic | Next topic »   
OLPC Updates Netbook Roadmap, Shows Tablet Concept, Drops AMD for VIA

LAN_402 LAN_403
Christo [PCD]
Sun Dec 27 2009, 03:53pm
Christo [PCD] Main Admin Registered Member #1 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:48am
News item posted

Even poor kids need faster computing

Over the last five years, the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) project has sought to develop and distribute a low-cost and rugged computer to children around the world in a bid to raise global standards of living. The non-profit organization successfully developed the XO-1, and has distributed over 1.4 million of the netbooks for less than $200 each.

“The first version of OLPC’s child-centric laptop, the XO, is a revolution in low-cost, low-power computing. The XO has been distributed to more than 1.4 million children in 35 countries and in 25 languages,
Banlam
Mon Dec 28 2009, 02:51am
Banlam Registered Member #346 Joined: Wed Aug 22 2007, 06:35pm
Looks like some interesting stuff they're developing there. What I don't understand is why they don't talk to a big company like Acer. I mean, I payed R2000 for my netbook, so about $250 and between Incredible Connection, the suppliers and Acer, I'm sure they're making more than $100 profit.

So if they made a deal with Acer, acer can get some profits, some good press, and the kids will get some "powerful" netbooks.

I realise that the previous version of the OLPC had thing slike windup generators and things built in, but to use the Aspire One as a base isn't a completely bad idea is it?
Moderator(s): Christo [PCD], Morgue[FLB], RaZeaL [PCD], Siversmith[PCD], Dade_182, MaTiCa, MayheM

Go to:

LAN_431 LAN_432 LAN_433